Week 1: Introduction to Python
In this week's workshop, we will introduce you to Python!!! Python is a very versatile programming language. Later in our Something Publishable series, we will teach you how to scrape Twitter data (Week 4), conduct n-gram topic modeling (Week 10), and analyze social networks (Week 13), all with Python! If you are going to delve into any of these topics, or simply interested in learning the world’s most popular programming language, come and join our first workshop!
Before the Workshop
1) Navigate to https://www.anaconda.com/products/distribution and download the latest version of the Anaconda software for either Mac or Windows.
2) Install the latest version of Python at https://www.python.org/downloads/.
3) Run both downloaded applications to install the Python and Anaconda software.
4) Ensure that you are able to open the Anaconda software. It will be called something like “Anaconda Navigator” or “anaconda3.” The home screen should look something like this:
During the Workshop
After introducing some core concepts for coding and Python, we will go over a practical example with the following goals:
1) Using Python, access https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and gather every clickable hyperlink.
2) Standardize the links so they all follow the same "https://..." pattern.
3) Export the list of links to a text file with each link as a separate line.